Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Supporting Member

Question BSA Martini Mk. I to Center fire??

22 RF bullet measures .224. Correct me if I'am wrong. Center fire 22 bullet measures .224.
If that's the case, can a Martini action be converted to center fire? Maybe rimed like a 22 Hornet but what about something like a .221 Fireball or for that matter even a 20 VT? Another barrel would be needed for the 20 caliber but if the bore is the same as a 22 center fire, why not a .221 Fireball?
Big and heavy so no recoil. Could be made into a bug hole maker?
Sold one that belonged to a shooting buddy that died a few years back.
I know where it is and there "may" be a chance that I could get it back?
Just thinking it could be a fun project. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks, Mike.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Supporting Member

Default not quite

The 22rf is .222, centerfire is .224. Twist on those old 22rf's is usually 1-16 or slower. Not sure what it would end up like but pretty sure it wouldn't be a bug hole maker once you start cramming a hot 22 centerfire down one. I've seen one converted to a Hornet and the big issue was feeding it with the short space on the breech block.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-05-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Supporting Member

I have a BSA International MKII that is still wearing the original barrel and is chambered in 22 Hornet. No problems with feeding or chambering.
I also know of a MkII rebarreled with a 17cal blank and chambered in 17 MKIV.......it apparantly took a wee bit of work but does work OK.

The MKI and MKII are a pretty stout action but the pressures still have to be kept in check as it is basically a rear locking action.........Kiwi
Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 Rem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
I have a BSA International MKII that is still wearing the original barrel and is chambered in 22 Hornet. No problems with feeding or chambering.
I also know of a MkII rebarreled with a 17cal blank and chambered in 17 MKIV.......it apparantly took a wee bit of work but does work OK.

The MKI and MKII are a pretty stout action but the pressures still have to be kept in check as it is basically a rear locking action.........Kiwi
Kiwi,

Advertised on 'gunstar' is a martini actioned .17 Rem. Must be strong enough for that round? It's been for sale for a looong time and is butt ugly.
KB.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM

I too have a casual interest in converting an International Martini to centerfire. I visited with a New Zealand fellow that has one in the 222 family, that he did his own extractor, spring loaded of course, for the rimless case. He says it works ok.

I have a pair of BSA MKII International's; both left hands, that one eventually became a 17HM2 with a Shilen barrel. I have gotten kinda fond of it, shoots ok with the little HM2.

I studied a bit on the extractor, and thought the extractor with some thinning of the forks would take the hornet case with ease, just my opinion. However, the extractors here in the states are fairly dear, often excess of $100 per. I once had good friend north of London a ways try to send me two extractors, but they somehow never made it.

I have heard of a fellow in Oklahoma City way that makes the MKII extractors from scratch for about a hundred bucks each. Guess it really not is out of the realm to make one oneself if the need arose though.

Lots of 16 twist pre 64's are around in 222 etc, just have to be satisfied to use the right bullet that agrees with the twist, not a new story there really.

If one does venture into the rimless 222 family, the extractor probably is the biggest task. Rebarreling is trival in a matter of speaking, barrel blanks abound. The rifle itself is a target type, fairly large and heavy, but still is enticing as a centerfire to some like me yet.

Since most would relocate the firing pin, the firing pin hole dimensions is a mute point, has to be redone anyway.

So I think that the extractor is the key thing to think about, the barrel or rebarrel is the easier part to execute.

I thought I would bump my 17HM2 to a 17HMR sometime with the same Shilen barrel, or even to a Hornet type 17 or 17 Bumble Bee Magnum, but the little rimfire has its merits..................maybe the other MKII huh?.... :-)
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Supporting Member

rickw.
Are you not set up to receive PMs? Tried to send one but can't. Please pm your email address to me.
Ken.