Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Default 22 hornet vs 17 hornet

I am waiting for the CZ 17 Hornet to come out. I am a real die hard CZ fan, so anything that gives me the excuse to buy another CZ rifle is a good thing. In my way of thinking. But realisticly what can I expect from a 17 Hornet that my old 22 Hornet won`t do already. I have been shooting a 22 Hornet for a long time and they are pretty high on my list.
ken
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Supporting Member

Ken,
I think the smaller, faster bullet's effects on the target and the laser-like trajectory is going to impress you!
Course, as you said, getting a new CZ is motivation Enough!!!!!
Bill
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Apples and Oranges!
I had all but stopped shooting for several years (numerous personal reasons). At the time I owned three different 22 cal. rimfire rifles and a couple of 22 Cal. pistols. they all sat in the closet. Then for some reason I decided to purchase a 17hmr. WOW. what a difference that made. all of a sudden shooting became fun again. Fast, flat, accurate, explosive.

I had the very same experience with .223. While it sat in the closet gathering dust, the .204 was fun - fast, flat, accurate, explosive.

The 17hmr and the .204 changed my whole experience with shooting and varmint hunting. ---- can I hear an "amen" out there?

I just purchased a 17 hornet and am excited to shoot it soon. I think that 22 rimfires, .223 and 22 hornet are all great rounds. But, they are apples and the 17hmr, .204 and 17 hornet are oranges. They offer a different experience. By the way, as a result of the 17hmr and the 204 I now enjoy the 22 rimfires and the .223 more than I did before. One could live on just oranges, but why?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM

CZ .22 Hornet, vs. CZ .17 Hornet?

Well, I re-barreled my 'old' .22 Hornet CZ gopher gun with a .17Rem rechambered to .17 Ack.Hornet CZ barrel. After a couple seasons, I re-barreled that CZ with a Pac-nor .17Barrel, chambered with my .17AH reamer and saved the .17AH, CZ barrel.
My current .22 Hornet CZ rifle is going to get that 'old' .17AH barrel this spring after I finish firing off all the loaded .22 Hornet ammo in stock. Another 250 or 300 rounds of plinking and that .22 Hornet barrel comes off.

BTW- both my .22 Hornet have not wanted for accuracy. They have been incredibly accurate, both shooting well under the 1/2" mark. The .22 Hornets have taken gophers out to 450yards, but the .17 calibre versions make it a LOT easier. The flattened trajectory is a wonderful thing when used with mil dots giving extended points of impact even - to 500yards.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM

I am a big 22 hornet fan, but I can't see any reason to grab the 22 hornet when walking out the door since owning a 17AH. Will do everything I used to ask of my 22 hornet and then some. If you don't own a 17 Hornet of same fashion you owe it to yourself to try one. They are that much fun, easily my favorite. I own 2 now and awaiting one of those CZ's.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 PM

If you don't absolutely "need" another rifle, just K your hornet, load some 30 grain Calhoons at 3700 fps & have the same thing with more thump. But I understand your "need", so do what your heart tells you not your brain. It's only money & the economy needs a boost. At least that my excuse.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
If you don't absolutely "need" another rifle, just K your hornet, load some 30 grain Calhoons at 3700 fps & have the same thing with more thump. But I understand your "need", so do what your heart tells you not your brain. It's only money & the economy needs a boost. At least that my excuse.
I'm with Hawkeye , the 22 K version kicks butt over any 17 version . I did do my own version of the 17 Ackley Hornet and it never competed with my 22 Hornets . My first 22 Hornet was a Kilborn , and I never looked back until I got my first Fireball . That was almost 50 years ago !
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 AM

Interesting to see this thread....
I've been considering a 22H, 22K, or 17AK for a long while.....it'll be the next project. Havent sorted it out at all.....Would probably prefer a 22K, but the 17 or 20 is interesting.
Tim
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 AM

Default 22 Hornet vs 17 Hornet

Thanks guys for all your info and insight. I don`t usually buy to many New Rifles but will probabley have to make an exception, when the new CZ 17 Hornets come out. I think I have the scope problem solved, I just bought 2 Bushnell 4200 Elite`s a 4-16X40 AO & a 6-24X40 AO wish they were side focus but can`t have everthing. Bought them both from the same guy, I really like this scope. I really don`t have a lot of experence with the 17 cal`s, just the 17 REM & 17HMR, and I have been really impressed with both of these CZ`s so far. I have been a varminter hunter all my life. And My Son my shooting partner just laughs at me all the time, he swears I do my best to make a Coyote, PD, or Groundhog rifle out of every rifle we have. I have really enjoyed being apart of this forum. It is fun to talk guns with people that really like them. Nothing like shooting varmints with a fine shooting rifle. Thanks again for letting me join your forum.
ken
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
The 17hmr and the .204 changed my whole experience with shooting and varmint hunting. ---- can I hear an "amen"
AMEN. I'm in the same boat as you. 20 VT and now a 17 Hornet comin my way, so fun to shoot the small stuff. 17HMR got me going too.